BOSTON — Samuel Adams will launch a new line of beers in early 2016 using nitrogen in the carbonation process vs. standard CO2. Using nitrogen, most closely associated with stout beers, produces a “captivating cascade and smooth creaminess,” according to brewer Boston Beer Co.
The Nitro Series will include three beer styles, White Ale, IPA and Coffee Stout, to be introduced in January and February 2016. All three beers will be issued for the first time and be one of the inaugural offerings of the Samuel Adams Nitro Series.
Here’s a breakdown on each of the new beers:
Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale
- White-capped and lively, the billowing white head of this nitro brew softly cascades into bright gold, according to the company. The first sip reveals a smooth velvety taste with light wheat character and hints of orange, while an undercurrent of peppery spices from the Grains of Paradise adds a bright finish.
- Nitro adds creaminess to the White Ale’s wheat character, while the spice and citrus keep it vibrant. There are hints of orange and pepper in the aroma of this medium-bodied brew.
- Pricing & Availability: Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale will be available nationwide beginning in January 2016 on draft and February in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for a suggested retail price of $8.99 to $10.99.
Samuel Adams Nitro IPA
- Boldly bitter, yet smooth, Nitro IPA has an initial cap of creaminess that reveals a brawny hop intensity beneath it. The hop character leads with notes of resinous pine and citrus for a flavorful, lingering finish. This 7.5% ABV, medium-bodied brew is deep amber in color.
- The hop varieties used in Nitro IPA impart unique flavors and aromas to the brew, including orange, grapefruit and notes of tangerine from Amarillo hops; medium citrus floral from Centennial hops; citrusy, spicy and herbal with hints of green fruit and red berries from Galaxy hops; intense floral, fruity, subtle mint from Polaris hops; strong pine character from Simcoe hops; and earthy and spicy with soft hints of citrus from Zeus hops.
- Pricing & Availability: Samuel Adams Nitro IPA will be available nationwide beginning in February 2016, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for a suggested retail price of $8.99 to $10.99.
Samuel Adams Nitro Coffee Stout Style
- Smooth, velvety cream cascades into a jet black, darkly enticing brew, revealing a rich, robust character. The dark roasted malts create notes of bittersweet chocolate with hints of dark fruit, while Sumatran Mandheling and Indian Monsoon Malabar coffee adds a deep roast dimension.
- Pricing & Availability: Samuel Adams Nitro Coffee Stout will be available nationwide beginning in February 2016, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for a suggested retail price of $8.99 to $10.99.